acridine orange stain of DNA

Robert Hindges hindges at
Thu Mar 6 10:53:10 EST 1997

Hello Folks

We are trying differentiate ss versus ds DNA in our samples on an agarose
gel. For this purpose we used acridine orange staining, which should lead
to an green color for ds DNA and a red color for ss DNA (literature). But,
under UV light, everything we see are green bands. Does anybody knows the
trick to enhance the red labeling of the ssDNA? Is there another method to
distinguish between ssDNA and dsDNA in a sample loaded on an agarose gel?

Any help or comment would be very appreciated.