oligo biotinylation?

Casey Chin cchin at crl.com
Fri Mar 7 02:22:03 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970222140537.8614A-100000 at chuma>, "Yi Zhang
(BIO)" <yzhang1 at chuma.cas.usf.edu> wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I am just wondering about doing Biotinylation of oligo primers myself. The
> problem is I do not know how :). I really appreciate if anyone can help me
> out here. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

Hello Ian,

If you have not already syhnthesized your oligo, the addition of a biotin
label is very easy.  There are biotin amidites that pop onto your DNA
synthesizer just like a standard amidite.  The coupling cycle should
probably be lengthened a little to deal with the bulkiness of the moiety.
But to make it with your oligo is just a key stroke away.

This way no messy reactions to deal with

There are a number of distributors for the Biotin Amidite.
Pharmacia makes one, as does Glen Reagents.

Hope this helps,

Casey