T7 select phage display

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 07:37:03 EST 1997

In article <5fnek2$1h7 at dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>, Jennifer Lyon
<jennyann at ix.netcom.com> writes
>As long as you take these simple precautions, you shouldn't
>have any trouble with T7 phage contaminating your lab. Treat it with
>caution, but don't panic!

Am I correct that T7 will only infect and lyse E.coli B strains so you
can't get plaques on K12 strains? We occasionally do 20 litres or so
'cos we use the DNA as one phage DNA in many for screening for new RE's.
Even with that amount we have never had contamination problems. It also
won't form a lysogen as it is totally lytic like all T-odd phages (and
T-even?).

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark