sodium acetate in sequencing gel buffers!

Chia Jin Ngee mcblab47 at leonis.nus.sg
Fri Mar 7 05:51:17 EST 1997

zarir (zarir at dept.agry.purdue.edu) wrote:
: Hi people,
: i want to know the reason for adding sodium acetate to the lower buffer
: tank while doing manual sequencing. I know it reduces compressions, by
: altering the voltage gradient, but how? what is the chemistry involved?
: Please reply urgently.also some reference where it is documented.

This method is documented in Biotechniques and is also found in CPMB.
Forgot the authors but it DOES NOT REDUCE COMPRESSIONS. What it does is
create a buffer gradient in the sequencing gel so the shorter sequences
(lower bands) is migrate slower as they near the bottom. Giving a "wedge
gel" effect. So you can have more bases read per gel.

--

Jin Ngee, Chia
(Genie, the OligoMan)
mcblab47 at leonis.nus.sg

Views and opinions expressed are solely mine and not of my employer's.
Any further grievances can be settled over a Virtua Fighter 3 match.