automated sequencing

ISOAI Atsushi aisoai at agc.co.jp
Fri Mar 7 12:44:16 EST 1997

Hi Paulo,
I have used both ABI and ALF system. If you have many
samples to be analyzed I recommend ABI. ABI prism kit
works very well and it is easy to prepare the sample
(PCR and simple work-up only). You can analyze one sample
per a lane (one to 24-36 samples/run). But in ALF system you
need four lanes per a sample (one to ten samples/run). In
ABI system, we always need to buy prism kit. It is so
expensive, but you do not need to modify primers. In ALF
system, we can select two methods; cycle sequencing
and conventional (Sanger's) method.
You need Cy-5 primer for cycle sequencing. Since the Cy-5
is protected by patent, only Pharmacia can supply Cy-5 modified
primer. It takes long time to obtain the primers after order
(7 - 14 days). If you select conventional method, you must
prepare ~5 ug dsDNA or 1 ~ 2 ug of single DNA.
Personally I like ABI system, but the both system works very
well. So you should consider your budget(!), purpose and
cost performance.
I hope my suggestion is useful for you :-)