Antisense transcripts

Jennifer Lyon jennyann at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 10 11:21:43 EST 1997

In <33205244.338D at udcf.gla.ac.uk> Julian Dow <gbaa02 at udcf.gla.ac.uk>
writes:

>Zhiyong Zhao wrote:
>>
>> I have a very strange in situ hybridization result. The sense
control probe giv
>> es a very nice tissue-specific staining with almost no
background.(The antisens
>> e probe also has tissue-specific staining but in different tissues.)

>I posted on this subject to the net a while ago. It's very common. But
>experienced in situ workers just keep quiet about it, to avoid trouble
>with referees...

I had similar strange in situ hybridization results, but decided that
they were interesting so I published them.  Using a probe to exons 2
and 3 of Fibroblast Growth Factor 2, I got slightly different signals
from the sense and the antisense probes. I ended up doing Ribonuclease
Protection Assays to show that they were very real and different
messages.  This is published as:  Savage, M.P. and J.F. Fallon (1995)
FGF-2 mRNA and its antisense message are expressed in a developmentally
specific manner in the chick limb bud and mesonephros.  Developmental
Dynamics 202:343-353.  Two other references,  Borja et al. (1993)
Developmental Biol. 157:110-118,  and  Kimelman, D.(1992) In: Gene
Regulation: Biology of Antisense RNA and DNA  eds. Erickson, R.P. and
Izant, J.G.  New York: Raven Press, Ltd have been published on the same
system.  There are starting to be more papers out there, but they are
hard to find.
Sincerely,
Mary P. Savage Ph.D.
mpsavage at novagen.com