Kidney glomeruli mRNA prep. ?

Heinz-Juergen Schaefers h-j.schaefers at
Mon Mar 10 16:47:25 EST 1997

Dan Eilat wrote:
> Looking urgently for a procedure to make a good mRNA from rat kidney
> glomeruli (in order to make cDNA library).
> Thanks.,  Dan Eilat (my e.mail is:  eilat at

Hi Eilat!

After having isolated the glomeruli, homogenize them in TRI-reagent (or
RNA-Clean, Trizol....) according to the protocol supplied with the
reagent. Also the RNA, DNA and protein isolation will follow the given
This works very well in our labs.

We also isolated glomerular mesangial cells according to:
Lovett D. H., Ryan J. L., Sterzel R. B. (1983)A thymocyte-activating
factor derived from glomerular mesangial cells. J. Immunol. 130,
and used them as primary cultures to passage 25. For RNA preparation
from this cells we also used RNA-Clean or TRI-reagent.

hope this helps....

Heinz-Juergen Schaefers
University of Erlangen-Nuernberg
Dept. of Medicine IV