T7 select phage display

Jennifer Lyon jennyann at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 10 11:33:39 EST 1997

In <SgospGAvvAIzEwVq at genesys.demon.co.uk> "Dr. Duncan Clark"
<duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Am I correct that T7 will only infect and lyse E.coli B strains so you
>can't get plaques on K12 strains? We occasionally do 20 litres or so
>'cos we use the DNA as one phage DNA in many for screening for new
>RE's. Even with that amount we have never had contamination problems.
>It also won't form a lysogen as it is totally lytic like all T-odd
>phages (and T-even?).

AFAIK, T7 phage will infect any 'female' strain of E. coli. It will not
infect any strain that contains an F' episome. But we have been able to
plaque T7 on HMS174(DE3)pLysS (a K12 strain) succesfully; my company
uses that strain as a positive control in a kit.

You are right about T7 being totally lytic. In fact, at 37 degrees C,
you can get plaques within 3-4 hours.

-Jenny

Novagen Technical Service
novatech at novagen.com