UV crosslinking

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Mar 11 14:17:26 EST 1997

Pete (pkursula at cc.oulu.fi) wrote:

> OK, OK... So I've done it years ago but now I need a reminder:
>
> When you crosslink DNA with UV light onto 1) nitrocellulose 2) nylon
> membrane, does the membrane have to be: 1) wet 2) almost wet 3) dry.
>
> I think our manual for the Stratalinker (no affiliation) is missing.
>
> Pete

I've done it both ways with Biodyne A nylon membrane and biotinylated
DNA without problems. The membrane folks say it is better to dry first.
I've done an experiment with the Stratalinker and found the optimum time for
exposing the membrane in the oven with my membrane is 9-10 minutes. Decreasing
time gives decreasing signal with chemiluminescent detection using the Tropix
Southern Light kit.