EtBr staining of DNA

Ed Rybicki ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Tue Mar 11 15:06:31 EST 1997

LouPass wrote:
> I agree with Marieke.  I just add a little (1 ul of 10 mg/ml soln of EtBr)> to a 75 ml gel and run it as normal.  I have had great success with this> even with very quick and dirty preps.

You need to use no more than 50 ng/ml in gel and buffer: plenty
sensitive, and allows LOOOONG exposures of gel under 254 nm light
without background problems.  Even 1ul of 10mg/ml gives you +/- 125
ng/ml...!  I used to use a 1/2000 dilution from a 10mg/ml stock as my
standard, and add 10ul per ml of gel / buffer.  Much more accurate and
reproducible.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."