Error bar in Microsoft Excel 5.0?

Douglas Danforth danforth.2 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 12 10:42:10 EST 1997

"William A. Mitchell" <wamitche at facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

>danforth.2 at osu.edu (Douglas Danforth) wrote:
>>marder at agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder) wrote:

>With all due respect, this is (unfortunately) not true.  Helpfiles
>often fail to provide information on everything that a program
>can do.  See below....

>>>..
>>>It definitely IS there in Excel 5.0. Once you select a data series, you can
>>>INSERT error bars and then give cutomized error values. The data boxes for
>>>this will accept a data range. For example, if you have your data in 3 columns
>>>- X values, Y values and Y errors - you can use the third column to define the
>>>error bar extent for the data series.
>>
>>It apparently isn't in Excel 7.0a.  Every time I try to put in the
>>data range in the custom box it gives me an error. For example
>>I have my x values in a1..a4
>>I have my y values in b1..b4
>>I have my SEM values in c1..c4
>>
>>When I try to put c1..c4 in the custom box I get the error message
>>"Error in Formula".
>>
>>Doug Danforth
>>danforth.2 at osu.edu

>Doug,

>It will work, but you must indicate the SHEET in which the values
>are located. For example, if your SEM values are  in SHEET1, the
>enter in the custom box

>=sheet1!$c$1:c$4

>Or, what I usually do is, after clicking the data series, and then
>clicking on the Error Bars tab, I click in the custom box (leaving the
>cursor there).  Then, using the mouse, I click in the worksheet
>containing the error bar values, and I drag the mouse over those values
>to highlight them.  As I drag the mouse over the cells containing the
>error values, the range 'magically' appears in the custom box. When I
>have the range I want, I return the mouse to the custom box and click OK.
>This gives me the error bars on the graph.

>At least this is what works in Excel 5.  Try it in Excel 7.

>Good luck,

>Bill

Bill,

Works like a charm! I wondered if my problem might be related to not
naming the sheet but every combination of =sheet1$c1.c4 didn't work.
Apparently I was missing the !  Should have tried your method. This
will make my life easier since I've been copying and pasting my Excel
data into Origin just to get these silly error bars.

Thanks much,

Doug