determining titer

Ed Rybicki ed at
Fri Mar 14 14:11:27 EST 1997

Caroline Szymeczek-Seay wrote:
> I'm producing antibodies in rabbit from synthetic peptides.  It's
> rapidly becoming time to check the Ab titer from the first bleed, and > realize that I have no protocol for this.  Any suggestions on protocol
> books?  I'm more of a DNA/RNA person, and haven't ventured into Ab
> production before.  Help will be appreciated.

See if your peptides stick to an immunoassay plate - then do simple
indirect ELISA (eg: stick a concentration range to the plastic [ and
KEEP the stuff if peptide is precious], and test a range of Ab
concentrations with it, and a non-reactive Ab as well).  Simplest things
often work best...!  Or do an inhibition assay, wherein you bind Ab to
peptide in suspension, then test reaction of Ab with native Ag.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL:
    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."