Ion Exchange Chro/HPLC with 6M Guanidine or Some Detergent?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Mar 14 10:52:39 EST 1997

newera at plaza.snu.ac.kr wrote:
> Do not 6M ganidine HCl, 8M urea or some zwitter-ionic detergent make
> any difference to cation exchange chromatography or affinity chromatography?

As others pointed out already, 6M guanidine will certainly affect your
ion exchange chromatography step because of its high ionic strength.
However, urea won't.

Affinity chromatography on blue sepharose is likely to be affected by
both guanidine and urea since it will denature the protein -- affinity
chromatography usually needs the native molecule, however.

--Cornelius.