DNA Help

Annel Greene agreene at clemson.edu
Mon Mar 17 19:10:35 EST 1997

I am desperate for help on a procedure.  I want to isolate DNA from an
egg- for example a chicken egg.  I want to quantify the total DNA/egg.
I want to look at early embryos so there will be very little DNA.  There
is NO WAY to separate the developing embryo from the yolk in my model(a
ray) the chicken is my test animal.  I was planning on staining the DNA
and measuring it with a fluorometer.  Is this a realistic goal?  Also,
these eggs will have to be fixed.  Does formalin destroy DNA? What is
the best fixative.  Freezing is an option instead of fixing.  Thanks to
all who can help.  Jennifer