Library Construction Advice: Cosmid vs. Electroporation

Robert A. Schoenfeld schoenfeld at MSSCC.MED.UTAH.EDU
Mon Mar 17 16:47:13 EST 1997

Hi -
I want to build a genomic library from a limited amound of 30-50 kb
starting material.  What are the pros and cons of the following 2
a.  cosmids
b.  subcloning into a low copy vector and electroporating

I've been looking at Stratagene's SuperCos1 vector, which is supposed to
hold 30-42 kb inserts.  Would I take a big hit in efficiency if I let the
packaging mix do the size selection or would it be better to size
fractionate my starting material beforehand?

Thanks in advance
Robert Schoenfeld
Univ. Utah