organic P determination..

Frank R. Gorga gorga at
Mon Mar 17 15:26:53 EST 1997

> Hi,
> I am looking for some help on converting organic P into inorganic PO4 so I can
> use the ascorbic acid Mo assay to measure it.
> Anyone tell me how to convert one to the other?
> Many thanks
> Andrew Johnston
> Dundee

I use 9:1 (v/v) conc. H2SO4: 72% HClO4 when assaying for phospholipids.
I add 200 microliters of acid to a dried organic residue and heat at 180
oC until the samples are clear, usually about 1 h.

Hope that this helps,

-- Frank 

Frank R. Gorga, Ph.D.
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Duquesne University
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
412-396-5858 / 412-396-5683 (fax)
gorga at

More information about the Methods mailing list