gel shift assay

John Watson watson_j at bms.com
Mon Mar 17 10:55:02 EST 1997

Joachim Kremerskothen wrote:

> we have some problems with our gel shift assays because our protein/RNA
> complex do not run on a native 5% polyacrylamide gel using TBE buffer (pH
> 7,6). Any suggestions for another gels system, etc.?

My feeling is that the gel and buffer system can be awfully protein-specific.
Back in the days when I was doing gel-shift, I got the best results for my
protein (the dioxin receptor) using 20mM Hepes-20 mM Tris-1 mM EDTA-6% PA
(19:1 acrylamide:bis-acrylamide) gels (pH 8).

AJW
John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
watson_j at bms.com