probe specific activity

Caroline Szymeczek-Seay seay at niehs.nih.gov
Mon Mar 17 10:47:42 EST 1997

Okay, here's a naive question regarding a procedure I've done a million
times and have just now realized that I don't totally understand.  Could
someone please explain to me how, in Maniatis, p E.19, specific activity
is calculated?  I of course can calculate "proportion incorporated." My
problem is the next equation on the page.  What do they mean by "total
weight?"  Do they mean total weight of the cold template (ie 50 ng) or
total weight of the final hot probe?  and if so how does one determine
this?

Kind of a nit-picking question, but just wondering....

Caroline