Help gels cracking

Mr. G. Morley gmorley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 06:38:36 EST 1997

A colleague of mine is having problems running her
protein gels.
Although her 8% acrylamide sds gels dry down fine (normaly
within 2-3hrs) her 10% gels are cracking on the gel dryer.
She is pre-wetting her whatman and drying down at 80 degrees
centigrade...
I seem to remember something about higher percentage gels
requiring either soaking, or the addition, of gelatin but
I am not sure...also I seem to recall the drying temperature
may be important - I used to dry down at 65 degrees c.
If anyone has any ideas we would be much obligued to hear
from you!
Thanks in advance...
Gary Morley
gmorley at rpms.ac.uk