Help gels cracking

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Tue Mar 18 10:40:49 EST 1997

In article <5glurs$opt at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>,
Mr. G. Morley <gmorley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:

>Although her 8% acrylamide sds gels dry down fine (normaly
>within 2-3hrs) her 10% gels are cracking on the gel dryer.

Although it's true that high-percentage gels tend to crack during drying,
a 10% gel doesn't count as high-percentage in my book.  I'd look very
closely at the gel dryer, and particularly at the vacuum source.  If the
vacuum is remotely adequate this shouldn't be happening.

Kodak, and some other companies, make a high-tensile-strength acrylamide
that is much less likely to crack; Kodak's is called "Duracryl", I think,
and I can't remember who else makes it (but the other company is likely
cheaper).  This is not solving the problem, though, it's merely avoiding
it.

Ian