Seeking gyrA462 CcdR E coli mutant

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Wed Mar 19 16:57:18 EST 1997

Bradley Turner (bsturner at MBCRR.HARVARD.EDU) wrote:

> I am looking for a source of an E. coli mutant strain containing
> the CcdB resistance mutation (in the DNA-gyrase gene)
>  DH2 {B462 (gyrA462, laqIq)}  or
> B216(D1210 gyrA462, zei 298::Tn10, laqIq)
>
> as described by Phillipe Bernard in citations:
>
> BioTechniques 21(2):320-323, August 1996
> "Positive selection of Recombinant DNA by CcdB
> P Bernard
>
> Gene 162:159-160, 1995
> "New ccdB positive-selection cloning vectors with kanamycin
> or chloramphenicol selectable markers"
> P. Bernard
>
> Journal of Molecular Biology 226:735-745, 1992
> "Cell killing by the F plasmid CcdB protein involves poisoning
> of DNA-Topoisomerase II complexes"
> P Bernard and M Couturier
>
> these strains are used in the propogation of pKIL vectors containing
> the DNA-gyrase poison ccdB.

You can request it directly from the authors, but be prepared to sign on the
dotted line that you will not develop anything from it of commercial use.
You'll see the author's E-mail address below:

@article{Bernard.Couturier1992,
author = "P. Bernard
     and M. Couturier",
title = "Cell Killing by the {F} Plasmid {CcdB} Protein
Involves Poisoning of {DNA}--Topoisomerase {II} Complexes",
journal = "J. Mol. Biol.",
volume = "226",
pages = "735-745",
comment = "ccdB/ccdA; gyrA462 strain; plasmid pULB2229 carries gyrA462",
year = "1992"}

@article{Bernard1996,
author = "P. Bernard",
title = "Positive Selection of Recombinant {DNA} by {CcdB}",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "21",
pages = "320-323",
comment = "Philippe Bernard (pbernard at dbm.ulb.ac.be);
http://www.magic.be/pbernard",
year = "1996"}

Also, you might want to check out the latest TIBS column on using
this vector system...

@article{Hengen1997Martibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Reducing background colonies
with positive selection vectors",
volume = "22",
number = "3",
pages = "105-106",