How to solublize bacterial membrane

Alex Chang lpss at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 19 03:06:25 EST 1997

I am working with a recombinant protein which is expressed in the
periplasmic compartment of E. coli. Somehow, most of the expressed and
secreted protein is stuck with the bacterial membrane. So, I need to
solublized the membrane in order to isolate the recombinant protein.

I'd like to know if there are any detergent which can solublized the
bacterial membrane, in the same time does not do much harm to the rProtein
(I don't want to use guanidium HCl, for example). Will Triton X-100 do the
job?

Alex Chang
Pathology
University of British Columbia