detection of proteins in FPLC

W R Bennett bspwrb at bath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 19:16:47 EST 1997

In the referenced article, dalmiabk at phibred.com (bipin k. dalmia) writes:
>On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:49:38 GMT, bspwrb at bath.ac.uk (W R Bennett)
>wrote:
>
>>Assuming 280nm detection, 1.00 AU is roughly equivalent to 1.0 mg/ml, so,
>>for example, if your sensitivity is set to 0.01, then full scale
>>deflection is roughly 10ug/ml.
>
>this would assume a flow-cell path length of 1.0 cm and i do not think
>that detector flow-cells have a 1.0 cm path length.

Good point, but I think the flow-cell that came with our Pharmacia UV-M
(ten years old, admittedly) did actually have a 1.0cm path length, but
it's easy to check - just look in that huge binder you get with the FPLC
system to see what your path length is.

Bill Bennett
Developmental Biology Unit,
School of Biology and Biochemistry