hot glass plates from acrylamide gels

Nick Jacobsen jacobsen at cf.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 07:33:50 EST 1997

Hi,
  This is not a problem that I have encountered and my lab has done an
extremely large amount of hot microsatellite work. I presume you silane
the plate you remove and you dont silane the plate the gel is left on
which is what we do. Your bottom plate might need a clean? I always clean
my non silaned plate with 10M NaOH, then distilled water then alcohol to
get it really clean. Another point is the methanol/acetic acid fixing
stage is a farce. It doesnt need to be done with the good quality
acrylamide generally available these days. My lab does this work
routinely and I dont think Ive ever seen a bottle of methanol around.

hope this helps

Nick