nested-PCR?

Jan Hoolwerf hoolwerf at solair1.inter.nl.net
Thu Mar 20 06:19:58 EST 1997

Hello,

Yvon CAVALOC <cavaloc at sun-recomgen.univ-rennes1.fr> wrote:

 YC> a nested PCR is used to amplify week amounts of DNA.

In our case low amounts of DNA we want to detect between vast amounts of other
DNA we are not interested in. And, to make it worse, often in samples that are
quite hard to clean-up: milk, cheese... such products. :-)

 YC> You first perform a PCR with external oligos and you use the
 YC> resulting matrix to perform a second PCR with internal oligo.

The first PCR we do is non-specific, the product is diluted about 20 times and
this dilution is used for a specific PCR to detect what we want.

A lot of work but the advantage is that you have a lot of product from the
first PCR so you can work with a sample mamy many times.

with regards, Jan Hoolwerf

******************* these words were mine, all mine !! ********************
 J.D. Hoolwerf
 Neth. Inst. for Dairy Research
 P.O. Box 20                        phone  : 31-318-659511
 6710 BA  Ede                       fax    : 31-318-650400
 the Netherlands                    e-mail : hoolwerf at solair1.inter.nl.net