native e. coli lysis/ inexpensive sonicator supplier source?

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Sat Mar 22 16:33:39 EST 1997

Steve Brown (sbrown at chugaibio.com) wrote:

> We are looking for a method of e. coli lysis that does not use =
> lysozyme/denature proteins.  Three freeze/thaw cycles on dry ice /37 C =
> yielded much less total protein than I saw using lysozyme.
> I would like to try sonication but they are pretty expensive (~$1600).  =
> Can anyone recommend a moderately priced sonicator? And/or another =
> method for native lysis?

Use a bead beater. It's basically a Waring blender that you add 1 um diameter
glass beads to grind up the bacteria.  They are very much less expensive than
sonicators.  I'm sure there is plenty of discussion on this topic including the
pros and cons of many different lysis methods if you search the archives from
this newsgroup,