DNA extraction from cooked chicken and shrimp

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Sat Mar 22 16:28:17 EST 1997

Om Rajora (om.rajora at ualberta.ca) wrote:

> I am wondering whether amplifiable DNA could be extracted from cooked
> chicken and shrimp.  I would appreciate receiving the reference for the
> methods or full protocol ASAP.

I think this has been done with specific primers for porpoise DNA in order
to prove canned (cooked) Tuna meat is contaminated with porpoise meat.
Also, I seem to recall a paper about using whale DNA fingerprinting for
prosecuting banned whaling offenders by the United Nations (?). Sorry
I don't have a method, but you might find it in a literature search on
these topics.