PAGE sticking to both plates during seperation

Slappy mwhitsitt at tamu.edu
Sun Mar 23 08:40:35 EST 1997

In article <elinton-2203971859480001 at waller-a-asy-14.rutgers.edu>,
   elinton at rci.rutgers.edu (Eric W. Linton) wrote:
>         We are pouring 6 and 8% PAGE using Sequagel, the long plate is
>coated with acrylease to make it nonsticky and the short plate is coated
>with methacylate to make it sticky. We have been using this procedure for
>about two years, ...
>The Problem is that in the last few months the gels have been
>sticking either completely or partially to the long gel,

Eric,

You don't say whether you have tried cleaning (stripping) the plates and
then reapplying the silanes. The coatings you describe can build up and it
is necessary to clean the plates now and then. I have had the best luck
with Bon-Ami cleanser. Other cleansers don't seem to work as well. Simply
sprinkle some cleanser on the plates and lightly scrub them... be careful
not to scratch the plates too much. Then reapply the acrylease and so on.

Good luck.

Mark

Mark S. Whitsitt, Ph.D.  Texas A&M University, Department of Biochemistry
Internet:  mwhitsitt at tamu.edu             College Station, Tx. 77843-2123
WWW URL: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~markw                  (409) 845-0832