Urea-containing buffers: How long can I store them?

Dr Koen A.L. De Smet k.desmet at ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:37:23 EST 1997

packard at kersur.net wrote:

> >Viraj Master wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I am using the Qiagen pQE series of vectors to express proteins.  There
> >> are two buffers which I use a lot, Buffer B and Buffer C.
> >>
> >> These contain:
> >> 8M urea
> >> 0.1M NaH2PO4
> >> 0.01M Tris
> >>
> >> Buffer B is at pH=8
> >> Buffer C is at pH=6.3
> >>
> >> I have been told that I must make these buffers up **fresh** each time
> >> prior to use.  I would like to be able to prepare batches of these
> >> buffers and store them.  Does anybody know whether this can be done and
> >> not affect the protein prep?  If so, are they stored in the cold, or at
> >> room temp?  For how long can they be stored?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >>
> >> Viraj
> >>
> >> Viraj Master PhD
> >> Dept of Organismal Biology
> >> University of Chicago

The reason why they cannot be used after long storage is because the
pH is not stable. Maybe I am just lazy, but I keep these buffers at
room temperature for several weeks and when I want to use them again,
I simply adjust the pH. This seems to work.

        Dr Koen A.L. De Smet
        Research Fellow
        Department of Medical Microbiology
        Imperial College Medical School at St Mary's
        Norfolk Place
        London W2 1PG
        Great Britain

        Tel: (+44)-(0)171-594 3946