lactamase inhibitor?

Mon Mar 24 10:48:16 EST 1997

At 15:35 3/22/97 -0800, MR ROBERT G CHAPMAN wrote:
>Does anyone know of a lactamase inhibitor called augmentin? It
>supposedly inhibits lactamase prolonging survival of ampicillin or
>analogs in culture.

Augmentin isn't a beta lacatamase inhibitor, per se.  Augmentin is
amoxicillin with (spelling aside) clavulinic acid added (whether it is a
second agent that is added or somehow linked to amoxicillin, I don't know).
 The clavulinic acid alters the pH of the microenvironment such that the
beta-lactamase is outside of its pH optimum - the lactamase is markedly
less effective and the bacteria are inhibited in their growth (happily so!)
by the amoxicillin.

Hope this helps,

 David L. Haviland, Ph.D.
 Asst. Prof. Immunology
 University of Texas - Houston, H.S.C.
 Institute of Molecular Medicine
 2121 W. Holcombe Blvd.
 Houston, TX  77030
 Internet:"dhavilan at"
 Voice: 713.500.2413  FAX: 713.500.2424
" Sometimes you're the windsheild, sometimes you're the bug."