lactamase inhibitor?

Mon Mar 24 10:48:16 EST 1997

At 15:35 3/22/97 -0800, MR ROBERT G CHAPMAN wrote:
>Does anyone know of a lactamase inhibitor called augmentin? It
>supposedly inhibits lactamase prolonging survival of ampicillin or
>analogs in culture.

Hi:

Augmentin isn't a beta lacatamase inhibitor, per se.  Augmentin is
amoxicillin with (spelling aside) clavulinic acid added (whether it is a
second agent that is added or somehow linked to amoxicillin, I don't know).
 The clavulinic acid alters the pH of the microenvironment such that the
beta-lactamase is outside of its pH optimum - the lactamase is markedly
less effective and the bacteria are inhibited in their growth (happily so!)
by the amoxicillin.

Hope this helps,
David

 David L. Haviland, Ph.D.