dissolving of RNA

Susan Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Mar 24 08:37:19 EST 1997

xudong huang wrote:

> Hi, Frank:
>
> It is the problem of over-drying. To avoid it, just pipette away
> remaining ETOH drops as much as you can, air-dry the pellet 5-10 min at
> room temperature until you can not see ETOH drops, then add DEPC water.
> It should be dissolved. Hope it helps.
>
> Xudong
>
> Frank Maiwald wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > I have problems to dissolve RNA-pellets in DEPC-treated H2O....

_Why_ exactly is overdrying a problem? I've heard this many times, but
don't understand the chemistry (physics?) of it. It doesn't seem to be a
problem with DNA (at least not in my experience, though I've been warned
about it). Does it have something to do with impurities in the prep?
--
Susan

"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life."
                       -- Stilgar (Frank Herbert)