dissolving of RNA

Susan Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Mar 24 08:37:19 EST 1997

xudong huang wrote:
> Hi, Frank:
> It is the problem of over-drying. To avoid it, just pipette away
> remaining ETOH drops as much as you can, air-dry the pellet 5-10 min at
> room temperature until you can not see ETOH drops, then add DEPC water.
> It should be dissolved. Hope it helps.
> Xudong
> Frank Maiwald wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > I have problems to dissolve RNA-pellets in DEPC-treated H2O....

_Why_ exactly is overdrying a problem? I've heard this many times, but
don't understand the chemistry (physics?) of it. It doesn't seem to be a
problem with DNA (at least not in my experience, though I've been warned
about it). Does it have something to do with impurities in the prep?

"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life."
                       -- Stilgar (Frank Herbert)