[Q] DNA elution from agarose gel

Tue Mar 25 17:14:12 EST 1997

At 12:50 AM 3/26/97 +0900, Kim, Cheon wrote:

>Hi, everyone.
>
>I've read the article about a protocol using a sirynge
>for DNA elution from agarose gel. The article (Jun 1996,
>bionet - methods & reagents)is below.

snip

>I have a question. Where is the step to remove EtBr?
>Is there anyone who knows the way to remove EtBr after
>syringe filtration or other efficient DNA purification methods?
>

>Thanks in advance...

Extract the eluted DNA with equal vol. of *TE- or water-saturated* n-butanol a few times and the EtBr will be removed in the alcohol. Alternatively, extracting with chloroform-isoamyl alcohol (CI) also works perfectly.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003