run-off transcription

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Tue Mar 25 21:42:00 EST 1997

>I've read several times that it is preferable to linearize my vector for T7 in
>vitro transcription with a UNIQUE restriction site.  Does this mean the entire
>plasmid should have only one of the required sites (to terminate the
>transcript)? Or does this mean to make sure that your desired transcript
>sequence does not contain this site?  If the entire plasmid should have only
>one of the linearization sites, why is this necessary?  Do extraneous
>linear DNA fragments somehow inhibit T7 pol from recognizing the T7 promoter?
>                                Thank you
>                                Sean Rollins
>                                Rollins.24 at osu.edu

You're right the first time. The RE can cut a million times, as long as it
doesn't cut in your desired template DNA. Note that nicked DNA can give funky
products, and 3'overhangs are most likely to give you contaminating (-) strands
(relative to your product).

Brett Lindenbach

Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis