E. coli strain MC1061/p3

Nancy Linford nantzee at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 26 15:28:48 EST 1997

On 21 Mar 1997, Ian A. York wrote:

=>In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970320114751.22556A-100000 at ascc.artsci.wustl.edu>,
=>John Richard Seavitt  <jrseavit at artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
=>>
=>>On 18 Mar 1997, Woong Choi,M.D. wrote:
=>>
=>>> Is there anybody who can provide me an E.coli strain MC1061/p3.
=>>
=>>MC1061/p3 can be obtained from Invitrogen.  The P3 episome has a tendency
=>
=>It can also be obtained from Clontech, and Clontech's electrocompetent
=>MC1061/P3 were considerably more efficient in my hands.  Someone else
=>(BRL?) makes a different P3-containing bug, I think DH10alpha; I tried
=>them once and found that they grew much more slowly than MC1061/P3, which
=>on the timetable I was using was inconvenient, but they may be worth a
=>look as well.
=>
We have just switched over from MC1061/p3 to DH10alphaB/p3. These bugs do
grow slower but they are endonuclease deficient (endA). It is a trade-off
but the DNA is a lot cleaner and more stable.