matrix for spin columns

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Mar 27 12:10:55 EST 1997

David Micklem (drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Is this approach OK for DNA?  I'd always assumed that the cut-offs were for
> roughly spherical molecules, which PCR products/oligos probably aren't...

I would have thought the same, but I remember seeing a paper that described
the separation of linear DNA through polyacrylamide by electrophoresis. I know
this is slightly different than spin exclusion, but the study concluded that the
dsDNA did not follow the expected mathematical model for the DNA snaking
through the matrix end-to-end, but rather the DNA followed a model as if they
were acting as tiny spheres.  Go figure. Anyway, the queston turns out to be
how one can separate 50 nt ssDNA primers from much larger PCR products, and I
assumed the PCR products were 50 nt long.