dissolving of RNA

Jason Eriksen jerikse at bsd.meddean.luc.edu
Thu Mar 27 22:08:31 EST 1997

xudong huang <xudong.huang at endo.mas.lu.se> wrote:

>Hi, Frank:
>
>It is the problem of over-drying. To avoid it, just pipette away
>remaining ETOH drops as much as you can, air-dry the pellet 5-10 min at
>room temperature until you can not see ETOH drops, then add DEPC water.
>It should be dissolved. Hope it helps.
>
>Xudong

This is excellent advice! I ran into the same problem when I was first
learning RNA extractions; what most beginners do, unless they know
better, is to really try to get that pellet dry.  Of course, what
happens is that you get a firm, translucent, non-dissolving pellet of
RNA. :)

It took me a month of effort to figure out that this was the problem.
Xudong is right on the money. Don't dry your pellet too much, and do
avoid subjecting it to 65 C temperatures. Room temperature for drying
is just fine.

Jason