GST-fusion protein breakdown

Cornelius Krasel krasel at
Mon Mar 31 11:49:18 EST 1997

marcvdc at wrote:
> Our GST-fusion protein is well expressed in E. coli and it is soluble, but it
> runs about 8kDa lower than expected on PAGE. I fear we have breakdown of the
> fusion.
> Does anyone know a solution for this problem ?

I am afraid there is no easy solution.

You may try:
- Changing of E. coli strain (to protease-negative strains, like BL21)
- Changing of time of induction (helps sometimes)
- Lowering of culture temperature (lowers protease activities)
- Inclusion of protease inhibitors when preparing the protein

Hope that helps,

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004 at  SP3 */