Teflon pump/gel driers

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri May 2 14:05:46 EST 1997

We just got a teflon-coated vacuum pump for our SDS-PAGE gel drier.  As I
undrstand it, the point of the teflon pump is that it is not affected by
the corrosive vapours produced as the SDS-PAGE gels are dried (I presume
those vapous would include things like acetic acid, methanol, stuff from
the flours, and so forth).  My question is, what kind of precautions *do*
i need to take with the pump?  I'm guessing that we no longer need to
provide the cold trap that most gel driers are set up with in one form or
another. Should I put a couple of flasks between the drier and the pump,
so that liquids and particulates can condense out?  A couple of flasks
with DriRite in one or both?

If there a potential health hazard with vapours being pumped into the lab?
We don't take any special precautions around the gels themselves (other
than the obvious ones, like not sticking our tongues in the liquid); would
the vapours be of more concern?

Anyone have experience with these pumps?

Thanks for any comments.

Ian