spermidine/spermine prep

Frederik Intelmann intelman at nospam.uni-hohenheim.de
Fri May 2 03:38:42 EST 1997

In article <33661E84.662 at em.agr.ca>,
   "John E. Hachey" <hachey at em.agr.ca> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Can anyone tell me if it is O.K to autoclave
>spermidine od spermine. I can find about zero
>information on preparation and storage of
>solutions containing these compounds.

The publication on spermine precipitation of DNA by Hoopes and McClure
(Nucleic acids rersearch Vol.9 (20) p. 5493-5504, 1981) advises storage "at 4
°C for short term storage (weeks)" and "-20°C for long term storage" but says
nothing about autoclaving such solutions. I autoclave my 0.1 M solutions and
my precipitations still work, although I sometimes have to increase the time
of the centrifugation step (20 instead of 10 minutes).

Regards
       Frederik Intelmann

Not "Thou shalt not". Say "I will not".
(Terry Pratchett, Feet of clay)

Please remove "nospam" from e-mail adress before mailing me.