Electroporator

Susan Saporito-Irwin irwinsue at inlink.com
Fri May 2 20:34:17 EST 1997

In article <3.0.32.19970502140615.006e52c0 at imm2.imm.uth.tmc.edu>,
dhavilan at IMM2.IMM.UTH.TMC.EDU ("David L. Haviland, Ph.D.") wrote:

> >Does anyone know a machine that is able to work with the following
> >parameters:
> >
> >400 V, 125 uF
>
> Yes... The BTX EC600 can do exactly what you want.  That's why I opted for
> it rather than the device you are using.

As a user of the Gene Pulser 2, I can tell you that 400V and 125uF is a
pretty vanilla setting that it and any decent electroporater should be
able to handle. I think Steffen's particular needs were these former
settings plus this latter statement...

"Additionally I have to place a 5 Ohm resistance in series with the
anode. "

This spec I'm not aware of in Bio-Rad's or BTX's machines, both of which
our group tested (we opted for Bio-Rad's unit on general quality and
reproducibility issues plus personal subjectiveness of course).

Cheers,

Susan Saporito-Irwin, PhD
Wash U Sch of Med