DT40 chicken cell line

Aydemir Akin, DVM akin at omni.cc.purdue.edu
Sat May 3 11:22:19 EST 1997

I have been using DT-40s for a while now and I grow them in
   1X DMEM containing 5%FBS and 5%Chicken serum (heat-inactivated) along with
Amphotericin-B.
   I filter the media prior to addition of both serums with no problem.
Chicken serum can be filtered but I find it unnecessary.  If you don't
filter it however, you get these "flakes" in the culture flasks.  To avoid
filtering of the chicken serum and the "flakes (I believe they are some
lipids)" I would remove some complete medium from the top of the bottle
with minimal disturbance of the bottle (no shaking or mixing by pipetting)
and dispense it into the flasks as usual.
   I also tried ATCC's recipe but I prefer the above due to its ease of
preparation.

Aydemir Akin, DVM