about pcr primer

eric anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org.nospam
Tue May 6 09:40:55 EST 1997

In article <336E2395.73A9 at aruba.ccit.arizona.edu>, jim at U.Arizona.EDU wrote:

> Hello, there.
>
> I'm trying to design the primer which is 9 basepair long..
> is that enough to amplify the product?
> what do you think ?
> It is very hard to extend more longer...
>
> any advice please !!

my guess would be that a 9-mer is far too short to efficiently amplify
anything.  even if your primer were all G's or C's the Tm would still be
around 35oC and i would be that at an efficient extension temperature
(65oC at the lowest) it would fly right off the template.

can you give more information on why you can only get 9bp of sequence?
that might prompt some more ideas on how to get around this.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
NOTE: legitimate replies please remove ".nospam" at the end of the address in the header.