Western blots

eric anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org.nospam
Tue May 6 09:36:54 EST 1997

In article <336E29B5.211C at peakaccess.net>, Michael Tarasev
<tarasev at peakaccess.net> wrote:

> I would like a method or information about a method of western blotting
> involving immobilization of bacterial colonies to the blotting membrane
> and probing for the antibody reaction directly. I have done Western
> Blots the typical way ie running a SDS-PAGE gel and transferring the
> proteins the PVDF membrane and carrying out the antibody reaction but
> would like a method for using this on a smaller scale, ie in a bacterial
> colony.

this protocol is in Current Protocols in Molecular Biology.  i've never
used it but i stumbled across it the other day.  it's basically a colony
screen (from a library) except that you use an Ab instead of a DNA probe
for the hybridization.  i'm not sure if the protocol includes the use of
PVDF membranes but that can be easily modified.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
NOTE: legitimate replies please remove ".nospam" at the end of the address in the header.