Uneven PCR -- Have you heard of it yet?

R.F.Whittier tsu01135 at KORYU.STATCI.GO.JP
Fri May 9 01:50:53 EST 1997

No, that is the first time I ever heard of it under that name.
But indeed, it is a very useful and convenient method.

A rose by any other name. . .

There are so many good scientists out there publishing that
sometimes good publications are overlooked, and the wheel gets
reinvented. That seems to be the unfortunate case here. Our name
for this method is TAIL-PCR (Thermal Asymmetric Interlaced PCR)
and we published it early in 1995 in GENOMICS 25: 674--681 for
use recovering YAC and P1 insert ends, and in the March 1995 issue
of The Plant Journal 8: 457--463 for recovering T-DNA insert
junctions from total genomic DNA. Direct sequencing of reaction
products (no recovery steps) is covered in NAR 21: 3333--3334.
I still have reprints of the GENOMICS and Plant J. papers for
anyone who wants to request them from me. The method is a very
convenient substitute for inverse PCR, particularly in
repetitive applications. Numerous European laboratories have
reported back to me that they now use it routinely, as do we.

The method is a clever one, and both Yao-Guang Liu in my group
and Xiongfong Chen in Ray Wu's lab deserve credit for having
thought of it, and for having worked out practical conditions
(albeit somewhat different conditions) for its use.

Robert F. Whittier, Ph.D.
Senior Researcher
Mitsui Plant Biotechnology Research Institute
TCI D-21, Sengen 2-1-6
Tsukuba 305
JAPAN

E-mail: tsu01135 at koryu.statci.go.jp