Home bacterial incubator.

Sebastian Bunka bunka at i112pc09.vu-wien.ac.at
Fri May 9 04:52:12 EST 1997

In article <5km0qi$6vq$1 at miranda.its.deakin.edu.au>,
	karthi at deakin.edu.au (Karthi Ramachandran) writes:
> Hi,
> You can buy a small aquarium heater from a pet shop or one of those heaters
> used for beer brewing. They are immersible heaters with a thermostst and you
> cam place them in a bucket of water and with the help of a thermometer, you
> can adjust the thermostat to any heat setting (probably between ambient and 50
> C). You can then float your plates in the water or better still, float a large
> plastic container with a little water and place the plates in the container.
>
> Hope this helps
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is not a very important, nor wide spread problem but here goes...
>>>
>>> I am helping a couple of eleven year olds to do a "science project."  I
>>> suggested that they do a study on the efficacy of hand washing and soap
>>> manufacturer's claims of being "antibacterial."  I've made some plates
>>> and tried a pilot run by touching the agarose then leaving the plates out
>>> on the counter.  Some 36 hours later there are one or two colonies.
>>>
>>> Time is not real important but I can't carry plates to and fro from home
>>> (their's) to the lab on a daily basis.  Any ideas about a simple
>>> incubator?  I've thought about using the hot water heater as a heat
>>> source.  Perhaps the small area around it might approximate 37 degrees
>>> C.  Anyone else have an alternative?  Thanks.

What is pretty good working is constructed from this:
1) an old, broken freezer (30-50 L volume),
2) a 40 or 60 watts light bulb,
3) an electronic temperature controlled AC-switch
(you know these clock controlled AC switchboxes which you plug
between lamp and AC line; there are several with an additional
temperature controller/sensor ~ 50-70 USD or less?).

Punch 2 holes in the freezer and place the light bulb inside the
freeze; place the temp-sensor inside, too. (cords thru the punched
holes). Plug the cord of the bulb
in the temp-controller and set temp to 36 degrees celsius.

I've done this and it works fine (temp accuracy is from
35.3 to 36.7).

--
Sebastian
;-)
Medical Chemistry               email: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at
University of Veterinary Medicine - Vienna - Austria