Reliable cDNA library construction kits

Ned Mantei mantei at
Mon May 12 10:19:00 EST 1997

In article <EA2CrK.31w at>, Nick Jacobsen <jacobsen at> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I think your best bet is the lambdaZAPII cloning kit from Stratagene.
> It tends to be a gold standard when it comes to lambda cloning in my
> experience

If you want to clone in a plasmid (such as for direct expression of cloned
cDNA), the Stratagene cDNA synthesis kit is the "beginning" of the
lambdaZAP kit. I had extremely good results with this kit (ligating ca. 2%
of the >1kb cDNA gave 340,000 clones, so the test ligation became the main
ligation and the desired clones were isolated...). However, I would
recommend taking the excluded fractions from the Sephacryl column
(depleted of adapters, etc.) and doing a size selection on LGT agarose.

Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
mantei at   Fax: +41-1-633-1046