Shearing DNA--Summary of responses

Ian A. York iayork at
Wed May 14 07:48:21 EST 1997

In article <5laqlp$miu at bubba.NMSU.Edu>, D. KIM <dkim at> wrote:
>One method listed was nebulization.  I wonder if there is any hazard
>associated with this method, since DNA delivered by inhalation of

The nebulizer is modified with a piece of tape over the outlet, so that
very little mist escapes the lower chamber.  I also presume that any DNA
in the mist would be sheared, that being the point of the procedure.  I
did notice that I could turn up the air pressure until a mist was
generated through the slit cut in the tape, and I agree that this is
something to think about.  If the DNA was of concern I'd do it in a fume
hood, I think.

      Ian York   (iayork at  <>