Cell contamination

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Mon May 19 11:13:42 EST 1997

Resi B Gerstner (resi at JHUNIX.HCF.JHU.EDU) wrote:

> Our lab is experiencing a cell contamination problem.  When an E.coli
> culture is grown overnight, the cells grow but with a scum line at the
> top of the media and with clumping. Clumping is usually stringy.  This
> happens to a variety of our E.coli strains: DH5a, NM522 Mut S, HB101,
> and JM105.

Some people in this group have had similar problems. In one case it
was a T-odd phage contamination throughout the lab, and in another it
was a Pseudomonas contamination in a water bath. The details can be found
in these articles, and both are available at my archive site.

@article{Hengen1993Dectibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Hybridization doughnuts and
uninvited phages",
volume = "18",
number = "12",
pages = "484-485",
month = "dec",
year = "1993"}

@article{Hengen1995Dectibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Floaties in the gene pool",
volume = "20",
number = "12",
pages = "522-523",
month = "dec",