Gel Purification -- Anyone else have this problem?

Dr. Randal W. Giroux randyg at puccini.crl.umn.edu
Wed May 21 14:36:14 EST 1997

I've had similar problems with the kits mentioned and I have abandoned all
of these types of kits for Beta-agarase digestion. I simply cut my band
out of TAE gel formed with LMP agarose and digest the agar into monomers.
Once completed (1 h) I simply ppt my DNA out of the solution. With TAE
most types of reactions (ie ligations) can be executed right in the
solution if your DNA is concentrated enough. This enzyme works everytime
and gives great results. You can get it from either NEB or promega.

Simplicity is always superior.

Randy