Gel Purification -- Anyone else have this problem?

Timothy J. Kordas tkordas at gsbs3.gs.uth.tmc.edu
Wed May 21 08:32:35 EST 1997

I have my own bad experiences with these "time saving kits". When it
comes to purifying a DNA fragment from a gel, I have been using the
freeze squeeze (minus the squeeze) method and it has worked very well. I
simply place a small cotton plug (the material in disposable filtered
pipettes) in the bottom of a 0.65ml tube with a small hole burned in the
end. I place this inside a 1.5ml tube and spin the gel slice 5min. on
high speed in a microcentrifuge. The eluate is ready to go. I usually
phenol chloroform/chloroform extract and ethanol precipitate. I haven't
had any problems and it takes about 20 minutes.

Brenda